Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day 1 - Micki

WELCOME! Truly this is day #1 of this blog and my first day as a PI.
At that time in life, there was only two licensed female PI's in San Joaquin Valley and I was one of them. Female PI's were unheard of and the attorneys didn't know what to do with them.
Just a little info - a Private Investigator represents Defense clients (the person arrested and accused of a crime) and the Detectives in the Prosecution's office works for the State/and victim. In Civil cases a Private Investigator can work for either the Complainant or the Defendant.
My first case was a criminal case - "Stolen Hay".
I found out fast that when you are a PI you take 5 minute courses on various things in life to become enough of an expert to be able to know what is right, wrong and what questions to ask and what to look for that is not kosher.
So I started by reading the case, which means reading the police reports. You see I was a Defense Investigator which means I always work for "the guy that is accused of doin' it." I met with the attorney and he briefed me on the case. I then, routinely, go to jail and meet with the client/defendant and find out his alibi and witnesses he wants me to talk to.
Since this was my first case I had to find out lots of information about hay and how do a person identify their hay, when found. To me at that time, all hay looked alike. So I called and talked to farmers who grow and sell large quantities of hay. I found out that most farmers bind their hay with different colors of twine or they may just use bailing wire which isn't used much anymore.
Well, once I took a look at the evidence it was definitely a slam dunk case, not in favor of our defendant. And when he was arrested some blocks away and raised his arms when being arrested, alfalfa leaves fell out of his shirt. Not good. Sooo - our boy got convicted and served his time. I learned all about binding hay, why some is green and some is not and became an expert for ........someone some day. Although now I live on a ranch and we do sell hay but not the same kind or shape.
Thanks for visiting and come back as you are in for some better stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment